“Maponya Mall , Tenants, Suppliers and Community pull together to renovate dilapidated School for Mandela Day”
The retail giant of Soweto, Maponya Mall, shall once again reach out to the community of Soweto and touch the lives and hearts of the children and teachers at Motjoli Primary School in Pimville. Dr Richard Maponya will be unveiling and handing over renovation to the School on the 18th July 2012, in celebration of International Nelson Mandela Day, Maponya Mall gives its 67 minutes of love.
Motjoli Primary School with 450 students is run down and dilapidated and is only but a few paces away from the mall. Maponya Mall has taken the initiative to coordinates companies, its tenants and suppliers to come together and renovate the school. Motjoli School has no doors, no electricity in the class rooms, walls are cracked and toilets are blocked, leaking with no doors.
The mobilized contributors, mostly being Maponya Mall tenants are :
- Nandos and Debonairs providing food on the day.
- Nedbank will install roll-up carpets for the kids reading corners and provide “Teach a child to save” campaign.
- RAM Shopfitting building 13 filing cupboards from scratch, 1 x door, 20 notice boards
- Virgin Active 450 strap bags for school stationery and water bottles
- Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund Donates books from a new mobile library.
- Ellerines Group will donate 1 stove, fridge, Bears children’s books and 40 Grade R T-shirts
- Educare Foundation providing 450 packs of stationery workbooks.
- Sanlam to bring Takalani Sesame Muppets on the day.
- Maponya Mall will rebuild the toilets and paint all 13 class rooms.
- Institute of Secretarial Studies 10 heaters.
- Universal Telecommunications will donate R10 000.00.
- Maponya Motor City will provide kitchen equipment.
- Pick n Pay Hyper will provide refreshments for the day
- The Black Ink Tattoo Shop will redo the school name branding and artwork on the wall
- Primi Piatti & News Café to donate printed material
- Radio Personality T-Bo Touch from Touching Lives Foundation will be present to give motivations to the kids
- Keneiloe Shuping, Miss Face of Maponya Mall will be MC for the day.
- Kodak will sponsor framed before and after pictures of the school
To make the day even more memorable, Maponya Mall will be taking all media guests up into the MTN hot air balloon prior to the event starting to see an aerial view of Soweto and the school.
The renovations began on the 5th of July. The whole of Maponya Mall Staff management, cleaners, security, administrator assisted by a youth organization from the school, the grandson of Dr Richard Maponya, Mothibi Maponya will also bring his friends and spend their 67 minutes of love by way of painting, cleaning and making sure all is in order before the handover.
The staff, learners and parents feel honoured to be part of this momentus development, which will be of great benefit to the learners and the community in general. The school would like to thank Maponya Mall and all the companies and individuals who have contributed to this great venture of renovating our school. This will help to uplift the education of our children. This serves as a part of a great milestone in the history of our school.” Says Ntsie Mohloai, Chair Person of the SGB.
Giving and volunteerism has been the order of the day and Maponya Mall is setting a pace, standard and example for more to follow. “In the Spirit of giving, we at Maponya Mall Center Management are delighted to touch the lives of children, who hold our future in their hands.” says Mandisa Mzizi, Marketing Manager.